Sunday, August 16, 2015

Summer 2015

Summer ain't over but as per tradition, here's a summary on how my Summer went so far.

BEAUTIFUL SUNSET.
The cloudless sky normal to Summer has been blessing us with beautiful sunsets. I can't keep my eyes off it. Nature's wonders always remind me to appreciate life. It's a good pause from all the stress and loneliness one feels, look up far and just be mesmerized at the horizon.

GAME OF THRONES
Call me a late convert. Eversince I inquired about this series from an Indonesian officemate, who is a huge fan, I got hooked. My sources were initially from Tsutaya (a famous DVD rental shop here in Japan) but for the 4th and 5th seasons, I got copies from that friend. I finished watching all seasons in less than 2 months. Now, I can't wait for the 6th Season!

HOUSE PLANTS
Early June, I bought some house plants at my nearby Family Mart convenience store. When July rolled in, I decided to place them inside because they were slowly withering. Until I went away to Cebu for a week, they decided to look like these..

HOUSE PLANTS (after a week of no water and care). They look almost dead to me but I did not give up on them (the emotional investment was too much). I know that these plants' lifespan are short but I decided to take out the dead parts. They'll survive. In hindsight, I should have bought a cactus. 

DISNEY SEA
I went there with an Indian officemate. Of all pictures I took, this was my favorite. Toyville was a recent attraction in Disney Sea which we never got inside to because queue seems to go without end. It bothers me a little why Woody and friends are stuck in Disney Sea. I know they belong at Tomorrowland in Disneyland (which by the way at this time looks like Yesterdayland).  My guess is that Toy Story franchise has a huge fanbase so the need to have its own park.

AMBER
I took a week off and spent it mostly with Amber. We bonded and had cough at the same time.

LE GRE KAN
It is only in June this year that I finally went in. We've tried their cake one time during Amber's 11th month birthday, and it was delicious, not too sweet. The meaning of its name is still unknown to me though. 

LE GRE KAN cake with tea and something to read at the left.

SUMMER READ 

Murakami's 1Q84. Finally, after almost 3 months of reading intermittently (read: weekends only), as of this writing, I am at its final chapter. The book was such a drag. Too many narratives of nonsense which is typical of Murakami. I could not wait to reach the last chapter. The story is too fantasy and metaphorical. I love fantasy but maybe 1Q84 was too much out of everything. 

The Little People were creepy though. One thing that was left unanswered, or maybe I missed, was the young girl whom the dowager intends to adopt. She went missing one night and her whereabouts were never told. 

One salvation though was 'love'. Always prevails, even in a parallel universe. Tengo, in one of the last chapters before meeting Aomame, was hesitant at meeting her for fear of incompatibility. After all, 20 years have passed since they last held hands and they were never close friends to begin with but as both characters have described their deep feelings eversince that happened, both were convinced that it is true love. It is something that survived that long. Aomame had the same reservations. Though she initiated their rendezvous after 20 years, she took chances not knowing if Tengo still remembers her, let alone has feelings toward her. 

SHOES.
Manly shoes as an officemate described it. Most of my female office mates are dressed fashionably. This is one of my favorite pair of Sperry (my first actually). It's my go to shoes on working days which I rotate with other 'manly' shoes I own. However, I do change it to flat pumps while in the office (I intentionally have spare shoes in the office for meetings).

No comments: