Saturday, November 08, 2014

Yokohama: Day 1

Last weekend, we went to Yokohama for an overnight trip. A lot of things had happened: from accidentally stopping by at a food feast near Tokyo station to having lost our overnight bag in the train and found it at Isogo station. After all that, we started our sightseeing activity.

 

About the bag, I left it in the train and found out we lost it just before exiting Sakuragicho station. Having lost a luggage before (in Narita airport), we were confident that it will be back to us before the day ends. Immediately reported my lost bag to the station. Good thing that I remember the details: from which car we boarded to the things inside it (first car, middle seats), and brand name (Le Sportsac). It is actually a sports bag. The station staff told me that they will track it and call me. I told her we're just staying at a nearby hotel so I'll be here right after the call. Thirty minutes after, as she promised, they found my bag and informed me to claim it at Isogo station (five stations from Sakuragicho). But before that, they asked me again about its contents and the bag design. Let it be known that LeSport sac bags are known to have intricate details and so I only came up with its color, and a bird, the rest I could not remember. Luckily, I took a photo earlier of Amber with the bag beside her. I showed it to them that this was the bag I lost. They were convinced and I made my way to Isogo. Not much time has been wasted as I first thought would be the case. We were able to proceed with itinerary as imagined.


The panorama of Yokohama shot from the Osanbashi pier. The two red brick structures are the Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse. It used to be customs office back in early 1900's. It has survived the great Kanto earthquake in 1923, WWII and in 1992, the city acquired the buildings. Restoration was carried out in 1994 to 1999 and has become a complex with shopping mall.

 

While the tallest building on the left is the Landmark Tower. It has an observation deck, a mall on its first three floors. It used to hold the title as the tallest building in Japan until 2012 when Abenobashi Terminal Building in Osaka took the title.


It's a watering hole made out of an old structure.


This house covered with vines stands out!


At Osanbashi pier. It actually is an international passenger terminal contrary to my earlier belief of it as just a tourist spot.


Yes, it's made of wood. According to source (the net), wood was imported from Brazil. It's a special wood that is disease and insect resistant. Other than that, the design is just amazing. This place is one of the best places to view Yokohama scenery.


Yay! can't miss the opportunity to take a photo. I've been here many times, first was in 2004. I know, it's been ten years!


Ferries and cruise ships are common in this section. Yokohama port is an international port. Vessels (not in this area) of all types, conventional and container, dock here.


We were lucky that an event was ongoing. With all the crowd, we did not go in but instead stayed walking at the sidewalk, people-watching.


Closer look but too blurry.


T buying somethhing to munch.


The thing about Yokohama, specifically Minato Mirai 21 district, is that streets for people to walk are wide. You can gape at your surroundings with less risk of getting bumped at.


Cosmo World amusement park.


The famous Yokohama ferris wheel: Cosmo Clock 21.

 

The clock says 5:38 in the afternoon. Sun sets earlier this time of the year.


Amber was her usual self. Can't be put in one place but not cranky. I'll have it that way than any other.


Night view from our hotel room.


About our hotel, we stayed at Washington Sakuragicho Hotel Yokohama. The room is small and clean - good enough for an overnight stay. As usual for Japanese non-5 star hotels (I don't know how many stars it has earned), cable TV is not available and breakfast is not free. However, as I mentioned, we availed this just for a place to sleep.


As if the nice weather was not enough for the whole duration of our stay, we were fortunate to have stayed in this room. Our window is facing Yokohama port with all its glory.


I have to post this just because.


JR Sakuragicho station. Much has changed indeed from my last visit in 2007.


Morning coffee with Amber and her cookie. This was taken in front of Strabucks. Yes, count me as those who buy tumblers as souvenirs! Pathetic as it may sound, I felt obliged for no specific reason. *defensive*

 

(By the way, there's the Bag!)


Washington Sakuragicho Hotel as seen from JR Sakuragicho station. So near that it's very convenient for us. We were actually surprised how close it is to the station.

 

Travel to Yokohama is easy. For commuters like us, the best point of departure is Tokyo station. From Inagekaigan (our station) to Tokyo station takes about 45 mins. Even less if you take Rapid train (a.k.a. express train because it skips certain stations, thus travelling time is less). Upon arrival at Tokyo station, we stopped to have lunch and freshen up. From Tokyo to Sakuraguchi station barely took an hour. Total travel time is less than two hours.

No comments: