Monday, August 04, 2014

Cebu in 12 days

I began my first day with 1984 by George Orwell. Having not much to do except for a few errands, I was able to finish it in a week. I read it while taking a break from whatever or having coffee at some random cafes. Time passed by quickly, more so with a story so intriguing that had me thinking that this is probably what it's like in North Korea (of course, with the exception of the telescreens that monitors every person's actions). The ending was unexpected for I was hoping a success on Winston's fight. 

Cinema One and History Channel have (always) been good companions at night time. I watched the former most of the time because it is my favorite medium for Tagalog movies -- not that I am an avid fan, I just want to know how our movies have evolved. Sad to say Philippine cinema has still a lot of improvements to do. However, one movie stood out during my Cinema One marathon, 'Naglalayag' (Sailing) starring the Nora Aunor. It had me all focused considering I had an early flight to catch the next day. I gave up at almost 2am not knowing Nora's fate after the death of her lover. My only comment was the drama set in front of the casket where her dead lover lay. Nora's character gave an all out wail while attempting to hug the casket but i'm giving the writer some slack because Nora's character was pregnant and knowing pregnant women's emotions, they are 4x higher than normal. The pace was just right, dialogues between character are well written, and the actors played their parts well. When i searched the net for its ending, i was not surprised that it received accolades from local and foreign award-giving bodies. 

Not forgetting History channel, i enjoyed The World Wars documentary. My knowledge about the wars was so little it could pass for nothing; and if not for that documentary, whatever little knowledge i had would probably remain the same.
Panlasang Pinoy (Filipino Palate) no.1 on my list was Jollibee burger steak. Only 97 php, almost same price level with two meal plus one cup rice in a Karenderiya.
As i was saying, it took me a week to finish 1984 which left me nothing to read. Another dystopian story is in my Kindle but I decided to take a break from bleak settings, so i bought a classic at National bookstore. Selection of classics are many but i chose Madame Bovary because it was set in France and the synopsis gave me an impression that this had been copied or, to put it mildly, taken as an inspiration by our homegrown telenovelas mixed with unnecessary sub-plots of kidnapping, adoption and amnesia.
I visited my Alma Mater. Having no purpose in mind, i informed the guard that i would like to renew my alumni card. Lady guard responded that Alumni office has transferred to Talamban campus, so she having felt my disappointment asked me if there was a second purpose. I confessed to her that i would like to see around the changes in the campus. Without further questions, she let me in and reminded me to be back before 5pm. I was done with my tour in less than an hour. Indeed, there were a lot of changes but every nook brought me back to good old days. 
Chippy and other junk binge fest. 
The Suite Room. So-so food for so steep price. Other than that, for a tiny space, they should have used furniture sets with a size appropriate for a limited space. 
Spent time with sis. 
Filipino style breakfast eaten at dinner time. 
Never did it occur to me that I was capable of devouring a huge serving. In my defense, I was really hungry. 
At day 13, I arrived safely in Japan. I so missed Amber for she and T stayed in Japan while mama took 2 weeks off. Thanks a millionth time to technology for making long distance communication faster and easier. Those days were the longest I've spent away from Amber. I don't think I'll do it again. It goes without saying that home is where the heart is. 

No comments: